Friday, January 31, 2014

TOPPS GARBAGE PAIL KIDS RETURN CARDS

Each time an artist works on a series of sketch cards, Topps also sends them 10 extra blank cards which are referred to as "Return Cards". The artist can illustrate these cards and sell them off on Ebay or to collectors.
Usually these are real nice cards with higher quality art.

Here are photos of the 10 return cards I did for the Garbage Pail Kids 2013 BNS3 series:

 photo RETURNSKETCHCARDS1amp2001_zps21618fbc.jpg

 photo IMG_1277_zpsd78b7bde.jpg

 photo IMG_1279_zpse7327a53.jpg

 photo IMG_1440_zpsfb39060c.jpg

 photo ELECTRICBILL_zps49761787.jpg


 photo IMG_1458_zps39891d72.jpg

 photo BNS3RETURNCARDS001_zps0222ac9e.jpg

I sold all of them but one which is still listed for sale on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321309329421?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

For the 2014 series of Garbage Pail Kids stickers I received 11 return cards (1 extra garbage can shaped card). I decided to have some fun and do some unique twists on these ones.

My first idea was to do "Scratch and Sniff" versions.
Back in college I did some gallery shows where I sold "Scratch and Sniff" paintings. I always loved "Scratch and Sniff" stickers as a kid but always wished the smell would stay on the sticker longer instead of getting rubbed off after scratching it. So I searched for information about how the smell is put on the stickers and what methods are used. The smell is actually encapsulated in the coating and is released as the tiny capsules are broken. You can create the effect by cooking gelatin and adding the scent and an adhesive. I messed around with different ingredients and came up with an excellent formula.
People who bought my college paintings over ten years ago have told me that they can still walk by them in their house and scratch them and get a good smell!

I've got a couple of cards ready to go. I've got a Junkfood John with a chocolate ice cream cone that smells like chocolate. I also did a test version on cardstock with a strawberry cone (which smells like strawberry). I just finished up an Anna Banana card with a test version that smells like banana (that one has already been sent to Topps for approval). I also plan on doing a Bazooka Joe that smells like bubble gum as soon as I can find a store that has the scent.

Here are some sneak peeks at those cards:

  photo IMG_1702_zps85b12571.jpg

 photo JUNKFOODJOHN1_zps81e5d4d2.jpg

 photo IMG_1717_zps471c4cdb.jpg

 photo ANNABANANA2_zps0afef3ac.jpg

After I'm done with the smelly ones I'm planning on doing some other twists including Glow-in-the-dark, Blacklight, and Stereoscopic 3D.

I already started a practice card for a 3D Gpk. There is a 3D Garbage Pail Kid called Blurry Blair which is a fantastic card but if you put on 3D glasses (which I did as a kid) it actually isn't in 3D.
So I just redrew the character in actual 3D to see if it would work and it came out great except it was a little to much 3D and the eyes and feet stuck out too much so I'll have to tone it down for the final card (this is why I do a test card). I plan on selling it with a pair of 3D glasses.

 photo IMG_1722_zpse2160ca8.jpg

So I'll keep updating the funtime blog with my progress. I hope the GPK fans don't mind me having a little fun with these!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Awesome. Post I still miss the 80's and recommend checking out some other good sites out there.